Hi I’m Meg Hodson, the web designer / digital marketer behind Nutmeg. Welcome to my little corner of the Internet.
My fascination with building websites began in 2010…
I was working as a journalist in the UK and decided to launch my own blog. Instead of doing it the easy and quick way ( signing up for a free Blogger account and choosing one of their generic templates), I got myself a web hosting account and proceeded to set up my very first website. I spent days searching for the perfect WordPress theme… and then months trying to set the damn thing up properly. This was the start of my love affair with websites and WordPress.
— Fast-forward to late 2015. I’m adjusting to life back in South Africa. It’s tough. I’m earning less and questioning why I returned. I work at a digital marketing agency. My creativity feels stifled. I feel like I’m waiting for life to happen… And then bam … life happens … I fall pregnant (unplanned). Amidst the uncertainty and fear, I know I can not return to a traditional 9 – 5 job.
— It’s early 2017. I’m a new mum on my laptop with a baby in my lap. Life feels topsy turvy. I’m trying frantically to design a couple of websites for friends so I can build my portfolio, come up with a name (and branding) for my new business and design my own website, in between caring for this tiny, exquisite and very demanding human who doesn’t sleep much. I’ve jumped into the deep end and now I’m trying to swim. ‘Start somewhere ‘ is on repeat inside by severely sleep-deprived head. ‘Start somewhere, start somewhere, start somewhere’.
— It’s 2019. My business is growing, work is coming in, I’m building a loyal client base. I’ve learned so much (more than I ever learned during my 10+ years as an employee). I’ve grown, professionally, spiritually and emotionally. Motherhood has changed me. Starting a business has changed me.
I’m stronger. I have this fierce drive that I never had before. I get this warm and fuzzy feeling when I think of how far I’ve come. I’m so excited for the future.
— The short story. I’m a self-taught web designer. Most of what I’ve learned has been by jumping straight into the deep end and teaching myself over the last nine years or so (with the help of Google, YouTube and online web developer communities!).
I also know a lot about digital marketing, brand styling, photography, graphic design, public relations and communications, and use this knowledge on every web design project I work on.
I love what I do and feel so blessed to be building a business doing what I love.
I’m kind and patient and love helping people navigate and make sense of the often confusing, ever-changing digital landscape.
Who I love working with
– Passionate, mindful and like-minded businesses and individuals that want a professionally-designed website to uplift their business, communicate their values and grow their customer / client base.
– Female entrepreneurs who are looking for a gentle, thoughtful and highly-efficient web designer to bring their dream website and vision to life.
– Boutiques, business owners and entrepreneurs who want to take their business to the next level with a professionally-designed, easy-to-manage online store built using the world-class, highly customisable and powerful combination of WordPress / WooCommerce.
– Creatives, makers, artisans and photographers who want a beautiful portfolio website to showcase their work.
What it’s like working with me
– Efficient & streamlined service – I am all about providing the best possible experience to my clients. In the proposal I send to you after our discovery consultation I will outline my process and what to expect from it all.
I will also set up our project on my preferred project management tool, Asana, where I create a project timeline, to do lists and upload any important information. We can then both keep track of the project and you can easily view the content I need from you.
When your website goes live I will send you a bespoke user guide explaining how to manage and maintain your new website. I also offer 6 months’ tech support as part of every package.
– I’m a listener. I love listening to people’s stories, learning about their businesses and discovering the meaning, purpose and passion behind what they do. And I love helping them communicate this through purposeful, on-brand web design.
– Simplicity and clarity are at the heart of what I do. I believe that less is more when it comes to digital design. Taking this approach allows us to create a focused and purposeful website that delivers an intuitive user experience and more happy customers / clients for your business.